Thursday, November 26, 2009

Is it only my family whose hair becomes straighter as we get older ?

My Ma had tight, frizzy curls until she was about 60, when gradually it straightened out and now she's 92 it's poker straight. My hair was just like hers, but I'm 62 now and it's straightening out. And now I come to think of it, photos of my gran as a young woman show her with tight curly hair, but when I knew her, she was about 60 and - yep, straight hair.



I thought curly hair was caused by the shape of the hair root. Do hair roots in my family change ? Is it the menopause, perhaps ? I can't give any male examples. However, I don't notice that older people of African descent lose their curls, but I'd be interested to hear this confirmed.



My family is from north west European stock from way back. Is it just us, or does this happen to other people ?



Is it only my family whose hair becomes straighter as we get older ?

This happened to me as well,my hair was like Chaka Khans once I got into my fifties it looks like Ive had it half relaxed,but hey ho its a change and i am embracing it.



Is it only my family whose hair becomes straighter as we get older ?

No, most people with curly hair have that phenotypic adaptation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Fish